Thursday, January 15, 2009

Looking Both Ways

Nathan is down for his second nap, after a calm morning. So I have nothing dramatic to blog about.

Driving here this morning, I was thinking about what I would tell him, if I could give him advice and know that he would hear me. I care so much, and I want the best for this adorable child, just like I wanted it for his father and my other two children. But I also know they only half heard less than half of what we said. Some things they ignored, some they twisted to justify what they wanted to do, and some they didn't get so they forget about it quickly. But if I knew Nathan would hear me, and follow my advice, what would I tell him?

Pick up your toys? Wash your hands? Brush your teeth? Be nice? Look both ways before you cross the street?

It's all important stuff. There are natural consequences if these things are ignored.

Especially the one about looking both ways. I thought that while driving earlier. But then I thought that it is not a simple piece of advice. Watching for oncoming traffic is hugely important before stepping into the road, of course. But if I expand the implications a bit, it becomes even more significant.

I mean, looking both ways is important in lots of situations, because it implies being fully informed. It means staying safe by knowing what is coming. And that can really matter in many areas of life.

Our email boxes fill up with forwards containing dire warnings, and then we find out the whole thing was a hoax. We judge people based on first impressions, and then deny ourselves the joy of relationships because of nothing substantial. It is so easy to form an opinion, and dig in and defend it without knowing the other side. (Think about political discussions you had recently, and about how both you and whomever you were speaking to were more determined to be heard than to hear the other person's point of view.)

Checking the truth of information before we share it, getting to know someone inspite of a negative first impression, hearing another person's reasons for their beliefs or opinions - all of these things can enhance our lives. Right? Looking both ways is good in these situations too.

So Nathan, that is Nana's advice for the day. Always look both ways in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment